Fusion of quantitative multi modal imaging and parametric mapping of lung structure and function and applications to COPD, asthma and long term effects of COVID-19 disease
Sano PhD students project title: Fusion of quantitative multi modal imaging and parametric mapping of lung structure and function and applications to COPD, asthma and long term effects of COVID-19 disease.
- About us:
Sano Centre for Computational Medicine is a new International Scientific Foundation located in Kraków, Poland.
Sano aspires to be a major translational scientific institute, operating at the meeting point of academic science, established MedTech industry, and emerging start-up environment, combining the best of these three perspectives.
Established with support from the European Commission and the Foundation for Polish Science, Sano aims to be a major driving force behind the advancement of computational medicine for the benefit of healthcare systems worldwide.
Sano acts as a core technology and expertise provider for industry, and creator of innovation, developing state-of-the-art solutions for healthcare. Thanks to the substantial funding and excellent European partnership network, Sano will bring a critical mass to this transformational field of research, in order to translate scientific advancements onto clinical practice. Sano’s ambition is to become the Reference Centre for Computational Medicine in Central Europe and build a reputation as a leading center on a global level.
As a cross-disciplinary institution, Sano uses machine learning/artificial intelligence (ML/AI), large scale computer simulations, data science, and other computational technologies towards overcoming global challenges in healthcare systems. The research agenda will be executed in close collaboration with Partners in Poland, EU and USA.
- Passion – Passion in what we do, engagement in Sano operations, taking responsibility, providing initiative, being happy at work.
- Innovation – Boldness in articulating and pursuing novel ideas, courage to think outside the box.
- Integrity – Directness, openness, tolerance and respect. Scientific integrity (we do not cut corners).
- Diversity – Diversity in backgrounds, cultures and opinions of Sano employees. Promotion of women in STEM.
- About job:
- Closing date: 30.06.2021
- Level of education: Master’s degree
- Hours: 40 hours per week
- Salary indication: up to 8000 PLN gross monthly
University of Sheffield: Dr. Guilhem Collier (1st supervisor), Prof. Jim Wild (2nd supervisor)
Sano: Computer Vision Data Science Group Leader
Project start: July 2021
Degree Awarding Institution: University of Sheffield
We hypothesize that image processing technique such as image registration and computer vision can improve the clinical decision making process by improving the data visualization and identify clinically relevant imaging features and parameters
Two longitudinal multi modal imaging studies investigating the impact of acute COVID-19 and of asthma and COPD on lung structure and function have started at the university of Sheffield. They are expected to generate large image data set with different resolution, contrast and time points. The clinical interpretation of these data is complex and new tools need to be developed to allow better image visualization, registration and comparison between quantitative parametric maps and time points to understand the diseases progression and derive clinically meaningful imaging predictors. Interpretation and analysis of visual information in healthcare is among the most attractive and impactful applications of computer technologies and the project will be focused on improving data interpretation.
The objectives of the project are:
- to simplify the data visualization for the clinical studies that use multi modal imaging of lung structure and functions
- develop an image registration pipeline for the comparison of the different quantitative parametric maps
- summarize and detect the most clinically relevant imaging parameters for the prediction of long-COVID and the different imaging phenotypes of COPD and asthma
- What are you going to do?
You are expected to:
- do original research in this field under the direction of the supervisor;
- participate in the many seminars by internal and external speakers as well as journal clubs and group activities;
- collaborate with other PhD candidates, postdoctoral researchers and other Sano employees.
- What do we require ?
Required background and skills of the candidate:
- Ideally a candidate should possess a 1st Class undergraduate Honours degree in a relevant discipline or a Master’s degree (completed or near completion) in a relevant discipline, such as physics, computer science, data processing, digital image processing, computer graphics, bioinformatics, engineering etc.;
- knowledge of image registration methods, machine learning, programming skills (Matlab, python, C#);
- interest in pursuing applied research;
- excellent written and oral English communication skills, to meet the entry requirements for PhD study at of the University of Sheffield
- Our Offer
We offer a fixed term contract for 40 hours per week for the duration of 4 years. This will be supported by an educational plan that includes attendance of courses and (international) meetings. The contract will include opportunities to participate in teaching and supervision of undergraduate and master students.
The salary, depending on relevant experience before the beginning of the employment contract, will be up to 8000 PLN gross per month, based on a full-time contract (40 hours a week) for the duration of 4 years with private medical care and a sports card.
This PhD will be a collaboration between Sano and the University of Sheffield. The University of Sheffield will be the degree awarding body. The student will be based in Poland, Krakow operating in conjunction with the Cyfronet supercomputing centre hosted by AGH. Visits to Sheffield will form part of the PhD for purposes of strengthened supervision and training – the student is expected to spend approximately 6 undertaking visits to collaborating institutions including Sheffield during the contract.
Sano offers excellent opportunities for study and development, an access to many international conferences on computational medicine and a possibility to grow in a scientific society.
If you feel that this job opportunity is the career that you are looking for, please apply immediately and give Sano a chance to meet you. Please, be informed that Sano will contact only with Candidates fulfilling the formal criteria.
- Job application
Sano is an equal-opportunity employer. We prioritize diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for everyone. We value a spirit of enquiry and perseverance, provide the space to keep asking questions, and promote a culture of curiosity and creativity.
Do you recognize yourself in the job profile? Then we look forward to receiving your application.
Applications in .pdf should include:
- a cover letter;
- a curriculum vitae;
During later stages, you’ll also be asked to provide:
- copies of your degree certificates;
- copies of your English certificates;
- two reference letters (to be submitted online by the reference writers).
Apply for a job